State Department Confirms 2 More Americans Dead in Brussels Attacks

The victims were not identified out of respect for the families

Belgium Attacks
AP

Two more American citizens were confirmed to have died in the Brussels attacks, the State Department told NBC News Sunday. The confirmation brings the total number of U.S. citizens killed to four. 

The latest victims were not identified, out of respect for the families.

"The U.S. Embassy in Brussels is providing consular assistance," the official said. "We have no further information to share out of respect for the families during this difficult time."

Officials previously said at least a dozen Americans were injured in the attacks last Tuesday. The death toll rose to 35 Monday as four people died in the hospital, Belgium health minister said, though Belgian officials on Tuesday lowered the number of victims to 32.

President Barack Obama contacted the family of an American couple who were identified among the dead in Tuesday's attacks. The White House said Obama offered his condolences to the parents of Justin Shults. 

Justin, 30, and his wife Stephanie, 29, were seeing her mother off at the airport when the bombs went off. Stephanie was originally reported missing, but was confirmed dead Saturday. 

Shults was originally from Gatlinburg, Tennessee, while Stephanie was a native of Lexington, Kentucky.  

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us