Purvis Lifts UConn to 68-62 Win Over Georgetown

Rodney Purvis made two foul shots with 17.7 second left to help UConn lock up a 68-62 win over Georgetown on Saturday.

In a throwback to the old Big East days, the Huskies (14-5) grinded their way to a win at the foul line, hitting 20 of 25 in the second half. Purvis finished with 17 points and Sterling Gibbs added 16. Shonn Miller added 15 and Daniel Hamilton 11.

UConn, which led 40-33 at the break, won despite shooting just 19 percent in the second half (4-for-21). It went 29 for 36 at the line for the game.

Reggie Cameron led the Hoyas (12-8) with 13 points, L.J. Peak and D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera each added 12. Georgetown, which was expected to remain in town overnight due to a major snowstorm on the east coast, was 7 for 8 from the foul line.

This was the first meeting between the schools since Feb. 27, 2013 when the Hoyas beat UConn 79-78 in double overtime in their final Big East meeting.

Smith-Rivera's jumper gave Georgetown a 62-60 lead with 4:32 to play, but the Hoyas came up empty on its next four possession. The Huskies went on a 5-0 run during that stretch to go in front 65-62.

UConn opened the second half 7 for 8 at the foul line and was in the bonus with 14:22 to play. However, that was about the only offense the Huskies generated over an eight-plus minute stretch as the Hoyas stormed back to take a 51-49 with 11:17 to play.

After UConn took its largest lead, 41-33, on a foul shot from Miller, Georgetown went on an 18-8 run to move in front. The key to the surge was a 4 for 8 effort from 3-point range with Smith-Rivera hitting a pair.

UConn's offensive woes continued as it went 1 for 15 from the field, but 14-for-15 from the foul line to trail 58-56 with 6:37 to go.

The Huskies used some hot shooting from the outside to grab a 40-33 lead at the break. Purvis was 2 fo -4 on the perimeter and scored 11 points, while UConn was 5 of 10 on 3-pointers. Overall, the Huskies hit 50 percent (13 for 26).

Cameron had 10 points in the half and helped the Hoyas jump to an early 11-7 lead. But UConn stormed back with a 7-0 run over the next 1:25 to go up 14-11. Purvis punctuated the comeback with a thunderous dunk following a Hamilton steal.

The schools will play again next season at Georgetown.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us