This recipe makes one 9-inch tart.
- 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 6 Bacon Slices-cut into ¾” pieces
- 3 Onions-medium size, sliced very thinly
- 1 Frozen Puff Pastry Sheet
- 1 ¼ Cup Cottage Cheese-blend in the food processor to make smoother
- To Taste Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat a sauté pan on medium heat, add oil and chopped bacon. Cook stirring occasionally until the bacon is about halfway cooked, not crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Leave 3 Tbsp. of the bacon grease in the pan, removing the rest. In the same pan, add the sliced onions, a generous pinch of salt, stir and cover. Cook covered for about 2 minutes to wilt the onions. Remove the lid and cook until the onions are softened and are a very, very light golden brown. Remove the onions from the pan and allow to cool.
- While cooling, place the frozen puff pastry sheet on a baking sheet. When just thawed out , use a fork, to poke many holes in the dough to restrict the pastry from over rising. Evenly spread the cottage cheese over the pastry, leaving a ½” border at edge. Evenly spread out the cooled onions and bacon over the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the pastry has puffed some and is a golden brown. Cool slightly and serve warm or room temperature cut into wedges. Great served with a vinaigrette dressed salad and a Alsatian riesling or beer.
Please visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook page.