• 4 thick pork chops
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
• 1 red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
• 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
• 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
• 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
1 Lay pork chops down on a large platter or clean work board.
2 Heat a large sauté pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot add in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is very hot add in the pork chops (Use a large enough pan to fit all 4 pork chops comfortably)
3 Cook the pork chops until brown on both sides (about 5 minutes per side).
4 Remove from pan and set aside covered with foil.
5 Reduce the temperature to medium in your sauté pan add in another 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
6 Once hot add in the tomatoes, pepper, carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Set cook for 3 minutes; stirring often using a wooden spoon.
7 Add in salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme and basil. Stir into the vegetables.
8 Add the pork chops back into the pan and top with the sofrito.
9 Pour in wine or broth then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.