This recipe serves four people or more.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 quarts water
- ½ cup milk
- 3 cups cauliflower florets -- preferably with stems split for even cooking
- To taste, chipotle pepper paste, salt and black pepper
- In saucepan, melt butter and add the flour. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring, Gradually add the milk, about 1 cup at a time, while whisking to make a smooth sauce. Bring to a gentle boil after each addition.
- When all of the milk is added, bring back to a gentle boil and gradually add the shredded cheese while whisking to make a smooth sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring the water and second measure of milk to a boil. (The lactic acid in the milk helps keep the cauliflower white when cooked). Add the cauliflower in two separate batches to the rapidly boiling water for about 3 minutes or just until tender and crisp.
- Check by tasting one for your desired tenderness. Drain well and toss with enough of the cheese sauce to coat. Reserve any extra sauce for any other use.