This recipe serves four or more.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Cup onions, diced
- ½ Cup celery, diced
- 2 Cups celery root, peeled and diced into half-inch pieces
- ½ Cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 Cup apple, peeled, cored and diced into half-inch pieces
- 1 Tsp. fresh thyme, chopped finely
- 3 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In soup pot over medium-high heat, add butter, onions and celery. Cook for about four minutes, until it is softened and sweet smelling.
- Add the fresh thyme, celery root and apples. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes until all ingredients are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or use a hand blender to purée the soup to the desired consistency. If the soup is too thick, add more broth, cider or water to adjust. If it is too thin, simmer for a few more minutes to thicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot. Garnish with celery leaves and thinly sliced apples. Enjoy!