- 2 Lbs. Beef chuck, trimmed and cubed 1/2"
- 2 Lbs. Pork shoulder, trimmed and cubed 1/2"
- 12 Oz. onions, diced
- 1 Bulb garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil
- 6 Oz. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. coriander, toasted, ground
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. cumin, toasted, ground
- 4 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 Tbsp., thyme
- 1 can (28 fluid ounces) of tomato, chopped
- 2 qts. beef broth
- 4 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. chili paste
- 3 Tbsp. vinegar
- Season cubed meat and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Saute onions and garlic in oil until golden in a soup pot.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add paprika, smoked paprika, coriander, cumin and thyme. Cook for 2 minutes and add tomato, beef broth, salt, pepper and chili paste. Bring to a simmer.
- In a saute pan, brown the cubed meat in small batches. As each batch is browned, add to the soup pot.
- Simmer very slowly for 2-3 hours until meat is very tender. Skim fat that covers surface. Add vinegar during last 3 minutes of cooking. Adjust seasoning with salt.
- 2 Paquillo chilies
- 2 Ancho chilies
- 1 Anaheim chili
- Toast chilies in a dry saute pan until soft.
- Remove seeds and puree in a blender adding just enough water to create a paste.