This recipe serves four.
- 2 Cups Apples- golden delicious, braeburn, empire: peeled, cored, diced ½ inch
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- ½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Dried Cranberries
- ¾ Cup Diced, Steamed Butternut Squash Cubes- ½” pieces
- 4 Each Phyllo Dough Sheets-available in the freezer section of market
- ½ Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar in the Raw
- To prepare filling, heat a saute pan on medium high heat. Add apples, sugar and butter.
- Cook stirring until apples become tender and the sugar has become medium golden in color. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla ,dried cranberries, and butternut squash.
- Lay the filling out on a baking sheet in a thin layer to cool. Reserve to fill strudels.
- Lay one sheet of thawed phyllo dough onto work surface with the 16-inch side closest to you and the 12-inch away from you.
- Keep the other sheets of dough covered with a double thick sheet of plastic wrap to prevent from drying out. Brush a thin coating of melted butter over the left half of the dough. Fold the unbuttered half over onto the buttered half to make an 8-inch wide x 12-inch deep strip.
- Turn this rectangle 90 degrees to have a 12-inch wide by 8-inch deep piece.
- Butter the left half of the surface again, and fold the unbuttered half over onto the buttered half to make a 6-inch wide x 8-inch deep piece of dough. Lightly brush melted butter onto this sheet.
- Spoon one quarter of the filling onto the first quarter of the dough, shaping into a cylinder onto the dough. Leave a 1-inch border on each end with no filling to roll the sides in.
- Gently roll up dough around filling tucking sides in, and roll into a moderately tight cylinder. Place seam side down onto cookie sheet, brush top lightly with more melted butter, gently score the strudel through the first layer or two of dough with a serrated knife to make slicing at presentation easier.
- Sprinkle the top of the strudel with the sugar in the raw. Repeat with three other sheets of dough.
- Place on a baking sheet with a rack Bake in a preheated 400-degree Fahrenheit oven for about 15 minutes or until strudel is evenly golden brown and crisp. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream. Enjoy!
Visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook page.