This recipe makes one 8-inch round fried dough.
- 113 Grams All Purpose Flour (1 cup)
- 2 Grams Kosher Salt (1/2 tsp.)
- 66 Grams Warm Water-120°f (1/4 Cup + 2 tsp.)
- 2 Grams Instant Yeast (1/2 tsp.)
- 2 Grams Sugar (1/2 tsp.)
- As Needed Canola Oil for Greasing bowl and frying
- As Needed All Purpose Flour to help stretch
- As Needed Mixture of Cinnamon Sugar to Taste (at least ½ cup of sugar to start)
- Whisk together the flour and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the warm water, instant yeast and sugar.
- Add the flour mixture all at once to the water. Quickly mix, gather into a ball and knead for about 5 minutes or until very smooth and elastic. Form into a tight ball. Place the dough in a bowl that has been greased , lightly grease the top of the dough, cover with plastic wrap and place in a slightly warm place for about 30 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
- Heat about 1” canola oil in a pan that will allow an 8” piece of dough to fit. An electric frying pan is ideal. Heat to 350 °f.
- Sprinkle your counter work surface with a little flour. Carefully lay out the risen dough on the flour and flatten into a thinner, 8” circle. Carefully pick up the dough and add to the hot oil, splashing away from you.
- Let fry for about 2 minutes on each side, pressing down with a slotted spoon as bubbles develop. Cook until a deep golden brown on each side. Carefully remove and drain. While still hot, cover both sides with the cinnamon sugar and gently shake off excess before serving. Enjoy!
Please visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page.