- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 Egg Whites-room temperature
- Pinch Cream of Tartar
- As Needed Vegetable Oil for Frying
- As Needed Powdered Sugar for Dusting After Frying
- Combine and sift the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl large enough to accommodate the remaining ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks. Add the liquid to the dry and whisk until just smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk your egg whites and cream of tartar until medium stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter. Reserve.
- Heat about a 2” depth of vegetable oil in an electric skillet to 375°f. Have a funnel with about a ½” opening ready. Have a helper nearby. Plug the bottom of the funnel with your thumb and have your helper add about ¾ of a cup to the the funnel. Drizzle the batter into the oil carefully starting at the center and moving in circles outward. Continue drizzling until at least 6” in diameter. When light golden, carefully flip the cake over and cook again until golden. Carefully drain on paper towels, but then dust heavily with powdered sugar. Serve while hot and enjoy!
Please Visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook page.