This recipe for couscous and carrot salad serves six to eight people.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup toasted whole wheat or regular pearl couscous
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons of toasted slivered or sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch carrots in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the carrots from the water and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add couscous to the boiling water in the pot and cook eight to 10 minutes. Drain and add to the carrots.
- Combine the orange juice and raisins in a small pan. Cook over low heat until the raisins are plumped.
- Add raisins and any remaining juice to the carrot mixture. Add almonds, olive oil and parsley and mix thoroughly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.