For the Fried Calamari
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup. Cornstarch
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp. Milk or Water
- ½ Lb. Calamari-cleaned, cut into small rings
- Fine Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
- Heat an 8” deep pot filled less than halfway with vegetable oil until 375°f. (Use deep fry thermometer).
- Combine the all purpose flour, cornstarch, and baking powder, mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Place the calamari rings in egg mixture. Remove and let excess drip off. Quickly coat the rings with the flour mixture, tossing evenly to coat. Shake off excess flour mixture.
- Carefully fry only about 1/3 of the breaded calamari at a time for about 1 minute or until a very light golden brown and cooked through. Drain on towels or paper plate, and season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Repeat procedure with remaining calamari. Serve with lettuce and garnishes as desired.
For Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce-broken down into leaves, washed, dried
- ½ Red Onion-sliced very thinly
- ½ Cup Cucumber-very small diced
- ½ Cup Carrots-very thinly shredded
- ½ Cup Sweet Chile Sauce
- Lay out the lettuce and fill each some of the fried calamari and garnish as desired with the vegetables and sauce. Enjoy!
Please visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page.