Turn your fresh picked apples into this tasty treat.
- 2 apples each: Cortland, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious (peeled, cored ½” diced)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract or substitute almond extract
- 8 each spring roll wrappers, 5-inch square size, available in Asian section of market
- 1 each egg, beaten with 2 tbsp. milk for an egg wash
- Vegetable oil for deep frying, as needed
- ½ cup sugar, mixed with 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon to dredge spring rolls
Heat sauté pan over high heat. Add apple dices to pan and cook for 20 seconds to caramelize. Add butter and sugar, tossing to coat. Let sugar turn a medium brown, add cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Spread this filling out onto a cookie sheet to cool before filling spring rolls.
Lay eight spring roll wrappers out. Divide the cooled filling among the wrappers in a cylinder shape leaving ¾” of wrapper on each edge with no filling to tuck edges in. Lightly brush the egg wash on the latter ¼ of the spring roll wrapper. Roll wrappers around filling tucking in sides, sealing the final edge.
Heat tall, narrow deep fry pot, half filled with vegetable oil to 375°f. Place cinnamon and sugar mixture in a shallow dish. Place four spring rolls at a time in a deep fry basket and submerge in oil, frying about two minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Lift basket out and turn spring rolls out into the cinnamon/sugar mixture, tossing gently to coat all over evenly.
Divide among four serving plates and garnish with shredded or sliced apple, whipped cream or ice cream and powdered sugar. Enjoy!