- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Lb. fresh white fish-Cod, Haddock or Flounder-cut into 8 thin strips
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- As needed vegetable oil for frying
- 8 corn tortillas-heated on both sides about 1 minute on a 400°F griddle
- 1 cup finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. chipotle pepper puree
Prepare the batter by whisking together the first measure of flour, water and baking powder. Add the fish strips. Toss in the batter to coat evenly. Combine the bread crumbs and second measure of flour, mixing thoroughly and lay into a shallow dish.
Remove a few pieces of fish from the batter at a time and dredge evenly in the bread crumb mixture, gently pressing to adhere the crumbs to the fish. Repeat with remaining fish strips.
Heat a deep fryer with vegetable oil to 350°F. Add half of the fish fillets and cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and the interior of the fish is cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining fish.
Lay out the heated corn tortillas and spread each with 1 1/2 tsp. of mayonnaise and about 1/4 tsp. of the chipotle puree. Spread evenly.
Top each tortilla with finely shredded lettuce, pickled red onions and one crispy fish fillet.
Eat and enjoy! Recipe serves four people.
You can visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page here.