½ Cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Stick butter
Phyllo dough sheets
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella-or any favorite cheese
4 Heirloom tomatoes-sliced 1/3” thick
Salt and pepper to taste
Basil as needed for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375ºf. Heat the olive oil, butter, basil and garlic until melted and just beginning to boil.
- Turn off the heat and let the flavors infuse for 10 minutes.
- Season butter-oil mix with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a large cookie sheet with olive oil or vegetable spray.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo on the pan and brush with the butter/oil mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining 7 sheets.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top sheet to within 2” from the edges.
- Top the cheese with the sliced tomatoes, slightly overlapping or shingling each tomato.
- Roll the edges inward to create a border.
- Drizzle any remaining olive oil/butter mixture over the tomatoes and season if desired.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until phyllo is crisp and golden.
- Cool briefly out of the oven, Garnish the top with more torn basil leaves, slice into portions and serve warm or room temperature.
- Great with a green salad and more fresh tomatoes. Enjoy!