3 cups Milk-divided
2 cups Fresh Mint Leaves-loosely packed
½ Vanilla Bean-scraped from pod or substitute 2 tsp. extract added later
1 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk (1- 14 oz can)
½ tsp. Salt
1 cup Bittersweet Chocolate-shaved using a vegetable peeler or use mini chips
Flavoring as Needed
- Heat the 2 cups of the milk, mint and vanilla bean to a gently simmer.
- Place the remaining 1 cup of milk in the freezer to chill very well.
- Turn off the heat and let flavor infuse for 30 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk and salt into a bowl large enough to fit remaining ingredients.
- Strain the mint out of the milk mixture and gradually pour the milk into the condensed milk, whisking to make smooth.
- Whisk in the remaining one cup of cold milk.
- If using vanilla extract instead, add it now.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. In the last few moments of churning, add the chocolate shavings.