- 2 qt homemade chicken broth
- 2 qt water
- 6-inch piece of ginger chopped
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups of assorted vegetables ( carrots, turnips, sun chokes, potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- In a large soup pot combine chicken broth, water, chopped ginger, and Chinese five spice. Bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 2-3 hours to get the full strength of the ginger.
- Strain out the ginger and place back on the stove. Return to a simmer and add the vegetables. Simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Season with syrup and fish sauce and serve.