This recipe makes about 3 cups of gravy.
- 1 Tsp. oil
- 1 cup small diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 strip bacon, chopped
- 1 Tsp. paprika
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch, mixed with 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Heat oil in a 4-quart sauce pot and add onion, garlic and chopped bacon. Cook over medium-heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with the red wine and simmer until reduced.
- Add in the 2 cups of broth and maple syrup and return to a simmer.
- Mix the corn starch with the cold water and, while stirring the gravy, pour in the corn starch mixture to thicken.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt.
- Stir in butter and puree with an emersion blender for smooth gravy, or leave chunky. The day of, add any drippings