This recipe serves four.
- 1 eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 bell pepper - any favorite color - quartered, seeds and white ribs removed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into little strips or torn into pieces
- 1-1/4 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- To taste, salt and black pepper
- Preheat grill on high heat. Lay out the eggplant, onion and bell peppers and brush both sides with the first measure of olive oil.
- Place eggplant, onions, and peppers on the grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until softened and a grill mark has established. Remove from the grill and let cool slightly.
- Chop into 3/4-inch pieces and toss in a bowl with the basil, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place in a shallow , greased baking dish so the mixture is 1 to 2 inches in depth.
- In a bowl, toss together the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese with the second measure of olive oil as needed.
- Spread an even layer of the crumbs over the grilled vegetable mixture and bake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven until the top is an even golden brown and the vegetables are hot.
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com