Hartford Baking Company Thanksgiving Stuffing
Using a blend of Ciabatta, Sourdough and French Baguette for the stuffing will bring out more flavors to the dish, but you may use any dried bread.
- 3 TBL Olive Oil
- 1 LB Ground Sausage,( Longhini Hot Bulk preffered)
- 1 Large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 bulb Fresh Fennel, diced,
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 TBL fresh sage, chopped
- 1 cup dried apple, diced
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups HBC stuffing bread , cubed and toasted
- 3 cups turkey stock or chicken stock
- ¼ LB Butter
1) Add olive oil to large saute pan on medium heat, add sausage and cook, breaking up as it cooks. Once browned, add onion, fennel, celery and cook till tender. Add garlic, apple, sage and pepper and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
2) In small pot, heat stock and butter until warm.
3) In large mixing bowl, add HBC stuffing bread, sausage mixture and stock. Check for salt and pepper seasoning and adjust to your taste. Mix together and pour into a 9x13 in casserole dish which has been sprayed or wiped with vegetable oil.
4) Bake for 40 minutes in covered dish.
Stuffing may be made vegetarian by eliminating the sausage and using vegetable stock for the turkey/chicken stock.