This recipe makes eight servings.
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 8 Hatch Chiles, roasted, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounces) can of organic tomato sauce
- 2 lbs. kidney beans
- 24 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp. black pepper
- Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Drain off the rendered fat, remove fat from the pan and set aside.
- Add the oil to the sauce and sauté the onions and bell peppers until translucent, about six minutes.
- Add the chiles and ground browned beef to the pan.
- Add the tomato sauce, beans, diced tomatoes, cumin, black pepper and 4 cups of chicken stock or water.
- Bring the chile to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until thickened, approx. one hour.
- Season to taste with salt and garnish as desired (cheese, onion, tomato, cilantro, etc.).