Homemade Hot Chocolate Three Ways
Makes 4 3/4 Cup Servings
- 1 ½ Cups Milk
- 1 ½ Cups Half and Half
- 6 Oz. Chocolate-not unsweetened, chopped (choose dark, milk, or white)
Heat milk and half and half in a saucepan until simmering.
Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate.
Let the chocolate melt for 2 minutes, then rapidly whisk until the texture is smooth and the color is even.
Reheat if necessary and serve in mugs, garnish with whipped cream.
Some Flavor Variations:
- Add ¼ tsp. of finely grated orange zest to the milk as it heats and use milk chocolate as the chocolate.
- Add ¼ tsp. of finely grated lemon zest to the milk as it heats and use white chocolate as the chocolate.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the milk as it heats and use dark chocolate as the chocolate.
Other flavoring ingredients to taste:
- Cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon
- Vanilla bean or extract
- Fresh mint leaves or mint extract
- Instant coffee or espresso
- Almond extract