- 4 Cups Italian ciabatta or country bread cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 Cup chicken broth
- 1/4 Cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 Lb. Sweet Italian sausage – meat removed from casings
- 2 Tbsp. extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups onions - diced small
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 eggs - beaten
- Salt, black pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese to taste
Preparation (makes enough for eight people)
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Lay the bread cubes on a cookie sheet in an even layer and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until slightly crisp and light golden. Reserve.
- Bring the chicken broth up to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and let soak for 10 minutes. Remove, reserving the broth and chop the tomatoes into 1'4 inch pieces.
- Heat a saute pan on medium heat. Fry the sausage up, chopping it up a bit as it cooks until the fat has come out, and the sausage is just cooked. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage, leaving the fat in the pan. In the same pan add the onions, cook on medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and rosemary, cook 30 seconds.
- Gently combine the bread cubes , reserved sausage meat, and cooked vegetable mixture in a bowl. Add the eggs, sun dried tomatoes and reserved chicken broth to the bowl, mixing gently to evenly moisten the bread, seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Place stuffing into a greased casserole dish and bake uncovered for about 40 minutes or until the center is heated through and the top gets golden and crisp. Enjoy!
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com.