Native Berries with Sweet Biscuits and Cream
To Serve Six
2 Cups Berries-any favorite berry or a mix
½ Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
2 ¼ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
4 Tbsp. Butter-cold, cut into pieces
½ Cup Buttermilk-cold
½ Cup Heavy Cream-cold
As Needed All Purpose Flour-for dusting
As Needed Whipped Cream
· Combine the berries, first measure of sugar and lemon juice and using a hand potato masher or your gloved hands, crush gently, and reserve.
· Preheat the oven to 375ºf. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9” cake pan with butter or vegetable spray. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the lemon zest and butter. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter, working until the butter is the size of small peas. Evenly moisten the mixture with the buttermilk and heavy cream and gently mix until just combined using a rubber spatula. Do not overmix.
· Transfer the batter into the cake pan and level out. Tap on the table to remove air in the mixture. Sift a light dusting of flour over the top of the batter.
· Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until a very pale golden and when a toothpick at the center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack.
· Invert cake pan onto a cutting board to unmold. Cut into 6 pie shaped wedges. Place 1 wedge on each plate, and top with the berry mixture and the juice. Garnish with whipped cream, a dusting of powdered sugar and a mint leaf. Enjoy!