This recipe serves four.
- 8 Large Eggplant Slices-peeled, sliced 1/3” thick
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 ½ Cups Cherry Tomatoes-sliced in half
- 4 Basil Leaves-cut in thin strips
- 2 tsp. White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- As Needed Canola Oil for sautéing
- To Taste Salt, Black Pepper, and Sugar
- Lay the eggplant slices on a wire rack and sprinkle both sides generously with salt to remove excess water and promote less absorption of oil when cooking. Let sit for 30-60 minutes to soften. Gently press/squeeze out excess moisture from each eggplant slice. Thoroughly dry each slice with paper towels.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and Parmesan cheese, seasoning to taste with black pepper. Reserve.
- Heat a sauté pan on medium heat. Add enough olive oil to the pan to go about 1/8th inch high. Dredge each eggplant slice in the flour, shaking off excess, then dip each in the egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Carefully place the eggplant in the oil and let cook until a very light golden brown. The eggplant should moderately sizzle when added to the pan. It should not brown too quickly. Flip over and repeat. Remove the eggplant and reserve.
- Prepare the topping by mixing together the tomatoes, basil, vinegar and olive oil, seasoning to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve over the eggplant. Enjoy!
Please visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page.