- 1 Eggplant
- 2 tsp. Garlic-mashed into a paste
- 2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To Taste Fine Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 8 French or Italian Bread Slices
- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 Grape or Cherry Tomatoes-sliced in half
- 1 Cup Lettuce-any favorite variety, shredded lightly dressed
- Remove stems, and split eggplant in half lengthwise.
- Place cut side down on an oiled baking sheet.
- Poke holes through the skin of the eggplant all over to allow steam to escape while roasting.
- Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until very softened and the flesh side has caramelized.
- Flip eggplant over and allow to cool briefly. Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant from the skin without too many of the seeds.
- Gently mix in the garlic, lemon, olive oil, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°f.
- Lay out sliced bread on a cookie sheet. Brush both sides with the second measure of olive oil, seasoning the top side with salt and black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for about 6-8 minutes or until light golden brown and moderately crisp.
- Top each bread slice with some of the lettuce, eggplant mixture and garnish with fresh tomatoes. Enjoy!
This recipe serves four.
Please visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook page