This recipe serves four.
For Crisp Pastry Layers:
- 12 Wonton Wrappers-small round or square
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger
- Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fry pot to 350°f. Combine sugar and ginger and lay out on plate to dredge wontons. Separate the wonton wrappers and drop in batches of 3 into the oil. Fry until a light, even golden color appears.
- Remove, drain briefly on paper towels, and immediately dredge in the ginger-sugar mixture. Repeat with all other wonton wrappers. Reserve for plating.
- 1 ½ Cups Rhubarb-cut into 1/2” pieces
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ Cups Sliced Strawberries
- Place the rhubarb, second measure of sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Cook covered over low heat for 5-10 minutes or until tender and the juices have come out of the rhubarb.
- Remove lid and cook for another 4 minutes or until some of the juices have evaporated. Stir in the strawberries. Let cool and reserve.
To Assemble Napoleon:
- 1 Cup Crème Fraiche or Sour Cream
- As Needed Powdered Sugar and Fresh Mint
- On each of four plates, place a small dallop of the cream in middle of plate. Stick on one layer of the crisp wonton. Place a spoonful of the strawberry rhubarb mixture onto the wonton, then a small dallop of cream on top. Repeat this process so you have two layers of fruit and cream, and three wontons. Dust tops with powdered sugar, garnish plate with any remaining fresh fruit, mint sprig . Enjoy!
Please visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook page.