4 cups French Bread -cut into ½” cubes or substitute pre-made croutons
½ lb. Sweet Italian Sausage –meat removed from casings
2 tbsp. Butter
2 cups Apples-peeled, cored and diced ½”
1 ½ cups Onions-medium diced
¾ cup Celery-medium diced
2 tbsp. Fresh Chopped Sage, or Substitute 1 Tbsp. Poultry Seasoning
½ cup Chicken Broth
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºf.
- Lay the bread cubes on a cookie sheet in an even layer and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until slightly crisp and light golden. Reserve.
- Heat a saute pan on medium heat. Fry the sausage up, chopping it up a bit as it cooks until the fat has come out, and the sausage is just cooked.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage, leaving the fat in the pan.
- In the same pan add the butter, apples, onions, celery, and sage and cook on medium high heat for about 10 minutes or until softened. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Gently combine the bread, reserved sausage meat, and cooked vegetable mixture in a bowl.
- Add the eggs and chicken broth to the bowl, mixing gently to evenly moisten the bread, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place stuffing into a greased casserole dish and bake uncovered for about 40 minutes or until the center is heated through and the top gets golden and crisp. Enjoy!