2 qt. water-salted
½ lb. Penné Pasta
4 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
4 Ea. Sweet Sausage Links-removed from casing, broken into 1” chunks
1 cup Onion-sliced thinly
4 Garlic Cloves-sliced
2 cups Fresh Pumpkin-peeled, seeded, ½” diced
¼ cup Italian Parsley Leaves-torn into rustic pieces
2 tbsp. Butter
Black Pepper To Taste, Fresh Grated Parmesan to Garnish
- Bring the water to a boil in large pasta pot.
- Add the pasta stirring to prevent from sticking.
- Boil for about 12 minutes or until just tender.
- While pasta is boiling, heat a large sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Add olive oil, then the sausage.
- Cook stirring for about 3 minutes until sausage is cooked through.
- Add onions, cook for about 1 minute, then add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the pumpkin and about 1 cup of the boiling pasta water, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes just to tenderize the pumpkin.
- Drain the pasta when cooked and add to the sauté pan with the sausage mixture.
- Finish the dish by stirring in the parsley and butter.
- Season to taste with black pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Garnish if desired with toasted pumpkin seeds.