- 6 cups water
- 2 Tsp. salt
- 2 cups orzo or small pasta
- Half a stick of butter
- ½ cup of melting cheese, like cheddar or fontina, or 3 to 4 slices of American cheese
- 1 egg (optional)
- Grating cheese, like Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Put the water in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the salt and pasta, lower heat a bit and cook pasta, stirring frequently, until pasta is tender.
- If there is too much water left in the pan, drain some off. Pasta does not have to be completely dry.
- Add the butter and melting cheese and stir. The mixture will be creamy, almost like a thick soup. Remove from the heat.
- If you use the egg, beat it in a bowl, then stir into the pasta. The heat of the pasta will cook the egg.
- Ladle pasta into bowls and sprinkle with grated cheese.