- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 6 Bacon slices - cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 Cup onions - small diced
- 1/4 Cup celery - small diced
- 1/4 Cup carrots
- 2 Cups peas - fresh or frozen, reserve 1/2 cup for garnish at the end
- 2 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Garnish with peas, croutons, drizzle of creme fraiche, mint spring
finely shredded lettuce, etc.
Preparation (Makes about 1 quart)
- Heat a heavy bottom saucepan on medium heat, add the oil and bacon. Cook stirring for about 3 minutes or until the bacon is browned. Remove the bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and reserve. In the same pan with the bacon grease, add the onions, carrots and celery, and a pinch of salt. Cook stirring occasionally for about 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are very tender and sweet smelling but not browned. Add the peas (reserving 1/2 cup for garnish) and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 4 minutes until peas are tender.
- Purée soup in blender or using hand stick mixer. Place soup back in soup pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place back on heat and heat until hot, or fully chill and serve as a chilled soup. Garnish with the reserved peas and bacon and crisp croutons.
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com