- 4 Cup All-Purpose or Yukon Gold Potatoes-peeled or unpeeled, diced 1 ½"
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- Salt and White Pepper To Taste
Place potatoes in pot, add enough cold water to cover, season water lightly with salt. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cook for about 20 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook or your finished mashed potatoes will become gummy.
Meanwhile, combine cream and butter in saucepot, bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and reduce until less than half of the cream remains.
When potatoes are tender, drain very well in colander. (If your potatoes are excessively mushy and wet, lay them out on cookie sheet and place in 250°f oven for 8 minutes to dry up a bit before mashing). Using a potato ricer or food mill, pass the cooked potatoes through. (or use a hand masher, or lightly mix with electric mixer) and fold in the reduced heavy cream and butter. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes-add 6 peeled cloves of garlic to pot as potatoes are boiling, proceed with recipe.
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes- add roasted, mashed garlic to the finished mashed potatoes to taste.
- Root Vegetable Mashed Potatoes- Boil any mixture of carrots, turnips, parsnips, or celery root very soft, either mash or chop when cooked, and fold into finished mashed potato recipe.
- Herbed Mashed Potatoes- Stir in 1 Tbs. of your favorite fresh herb or mix (rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, chives, basil) into mashed potato recipe.