- 8 Bacon strips-cooked until crisp, reserve fat, chop the bacon 1/4” dices
- 2 Cups potatoes-skin on, diced ½”
- 1 Cup onions-diced 1/2”
- 2 1/2 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 Cup cheddar cheese - grated
- /2 Cup heavy cream or milk - optional
- 4 Tbsp. scallions or chives - chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay diced potatoes and onions in a single layer separately on their own sheet pan, lightly coat with some of the reserved bacon fat and roast in oven stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until medium golden in color.
- Place the roasted potatoes and onions in soup pot, add the broth, cover and simmer for 10 minute until the vegetables are very tender.
- Puree to your desired consistency using a hand blender. Place soup back on medium heat and while whisking, gradually add the cheddar cheese. If desired, stir in the heavy cream, scallions, bacon bits and season to taste with salt and black pepper. If soup is too thick, add more broth or water to your desired thickness is achieved. Garnish with chopped scallions, shredded cheddar, bacon bits, croutons, etc. Enjoy!
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com.