To Serve Four
By Chef Jamie Roraback
2 tbsp. butter
4 bacon slices, diced ½-inch
½ cup onions, diced
¼ cup celery, diced
¼ cup carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ tsp. fresh Thyme, chopped
1 can white beans, approximately 16 oz. can, drained
2 ½ cups chicken broth
4 tbsp. Fresh Italian parsley leaves
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a soup pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the butter and bacon.
- Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes until the fat from the bacon is rendered and medium crisp.
- Remove the bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and reserve for garnish.
- In the same pan, add the onions, celery and carrots.
- Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and thyme, cook 30 seconds.
- Add the beans and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Puree to your desired consistency with a hand blender or potato masher.
- If soup is too thin for your liking, bring back to a simmer and let reduce until thickened.
- If soup is too thick for your liking, add more broth.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and add the parsley leaves just before serving.
- Garnish with the bacon pieces and enjoy.