This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 cup small diced onion
- 1 large green pepper, small diced
- 2 Tbsp. water
- ½ Tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- ½ Tsp. ground cumin
- ½ Tsp. chili powder
- 1 – 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 flour tortilla, sliced thin and baked in a 350-degree oven until crispy
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, diced green pepper, water, and salt and cook for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Then add the minced garlic, minced jalapeño, ground cumin and chili powder and cook for 1 minute, stirring well.
- Add the diced tomatoes and water and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes and stir in the corn. Return to a simmer and taste.
- Adjust seasonings with salt if necessary. Serve in four warmed soup bowls and top with cheddar and crispy tortilla strips.