- 8 Littleneck or Cherrystone Clams-or use more if desired
- 1 Pre-Baked Pizza Shell or substitute Pita Bread, Flatbread, etc.
- 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Thinly Sliced Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves-sliced thinly
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 8 Fresh Basil Leaves-cut into fine strips
- To Taste Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese and Black Pepper
Place the well washed clams in a pot and add enough water to go up ¼ the way up the clams to allow for steaming. Cover and place on high heat and steam for about 5 minutes or until the clams just pop open. Remove the clams, allowing them to cool and reserve the broth. Measure out ½ cup of the broth to use in the sauce. (freeze any extra for future recipes)
Pre-warm/toast your pizza shell until moderately crisp. Reserve.
Remove the clams from the shell and chop to your desired size. Reserve.
Cook the olive oil and onions over medium high heat covered to wilt and then remove the cover to very slightly brown, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the reserved broth and bring to a boil. Boil until just a few tablespoons of the broth is left. Add the heavy cream and boil down until a moderately thick sauce is achieved. Add the chopped clams and basil, bring back to a gentle simmer. Season with black pepper to taste.
Evenly spread the clam mixture over the pizza shell and garnish with Parmesan cheese. Cut into desired size portions and enjoy!