Grab that slow cooker out of the attic and try this no fuss beef stew. Let the crock pot do the work worry free.
- 1 pound cubed beef (chuck works well)
- ¼ cup red wine
- 3 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 pound pearl onions frozen
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 pound rutabaga peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 12 ounces carrots peeled and cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 5 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pepper to taste
Toss the cubed beef in a medium sized bowl with red wine, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, balsamic vinegar, and chopped rosemary. Marinate for 30 minutes. Place the mixture in the crock pot with kosher salt, frozen pearl onions and beef broth then turn to high and cook for 1 hour. After 1 hour of cooking time set the heat on low and cook for an additional 4 hours. Now add the rutabaga and carrots and cook for 1½ hours on high. Then stir in the corn starch slurry to thicken and finish with the parsley and butter. Season with black pepper to taste and adjust with kosher salt if necessary.
Makes 6 portions.