- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup onions - diced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. garlic - minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. chipotle chile paste
- 2 Cans White cannellini beans - drained (15 oz. cans)
- 1 Qt. chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt, black pepper to taste
- Shredded lettuce, Jack cheese, crispy tortillas, tomato salsa, sour cream, and cilantro to garnish
- Heat a heavy bottom soup pot on medium high heat.
- Add the vegetable oil, and onions.Cook stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, garlic, tomato paste and chile paste. Cook stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add the beans and chicken broth to the pot, cover, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Puree the soup if desired with a hand blender, or mash some of the beans with a hand potato masher.
- Season soup to taste with salt, and black pepper. If soup is too thick for your liking, thin with more broth or water. If soup is too thin for your liking, simmer without a lid for a bit longer to reduce. Serve hot garnished with any of the above suggestions.
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com.