This recipe serves four people.
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup leeks, sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- ½ cups white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 Lb. mussels, cultivated if possible, washed and debearded
- 3 Tbsp. butter, optional step, added to broth at end
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, split in half
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil and leeks. Cook for about two minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Add wine and water. Cover and bring it to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and steam over high heat for about five minutes until the mussels are opened.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer mussels into four soup bowls, reserving broth in the pot. Over medium heat, whisk in the butter, add tomatoes and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the broth over the steamed mussels.
- Garnish with parsley leaves and serve with grilled or toasted French bread Enjoy!