- 4 cups Fresh bread, cut into ½-inch cubes or substitute pre-made croutons
- ½ lb.. Sweet Italian sausage, meat removed from casings
- 2 cups Onions, medium diced
- 1 cup Celery, medium diced
- 2 tbsp. Fresh chopped sage, or Substitute 1 tbsp. poultry seasoning
- ¼ cup Chicken broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lay the bread cubes on a cookie sheet in an even layer and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until slightly crisp and light golden. Reserve.
Heat a saute pan on medium heat. Fry the sausage, chopping it up a bit as it cooks until the fat has come out and the sausage is just cooked. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage, leaving the fat in the pan.
In the same pan, cook the onions, celery and sage on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until softened. Let cool 10 minutes.
Place the croutons and cooked vegetable mixture in a bowl and evenly moisten with the egg, chicken broth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
The stuffing can be cooled and stuffed into a turkey 12 pounds or under, and roasted or baked in a casserole dish in a 375ºF oven for about 35 minutes or until hot and browned on top.