- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 4 tsp. garlic, sliced thinly
- 6 cups turkey, chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or other desired tube-style pasta
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 8 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste, extra virgin olive oil to drizzle on top
Heat a heavy bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onions and carrots. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened slightly. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, but do not brown.
Add the broth, cover and bring to a full boil.
Add the macaroni, stir to separate and boil until about halfway done.
Add the beans and let boil with the pasta until the pasta is tender.
Stir the pot occasionally and turn the heat down as the liquid is absorbed by the pasta. When pasta is tender, stir in half of the Parmesan.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper. If pasta dish is too thick for you, stir in a little broth or water.
If the pasta dish is too thin for you, continue boiling without a lid for a few minutes to reduce. Serve in soup bowls and garnish with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Drizzle the top with more olive oil if desired, serve with crusty Italian bread and enjoy!