- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions-diced
- 1/4 cup celery-diced
- 1/4 cup carrots-diced
- 2 tsp. garlic-minced
- 1 can white beans-drained (15 oz. can)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese-freshly grated
- To taste salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups arugula leaves-chopped slightly or substitute spinach
Heat a heavy bottom soup pot on medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, onions, celery and carrots. Cook stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the white beans and chicken broth to the pot. Cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender. Puree the soup if desired with a hand blender or mash some of the beans with a hand potato masher. Season soup to taste with salt, black pepper and Parmesan. Stir in the arugula leaves and cook just to wilt.
If soup is too thick for your liking, thin with more broth or water. If soup is too thin for your liking, simmer without a lid for a bit longer to reduce. Recipe serves four people or more.
You can visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook page here.