Ingredients (Makes 8-10 4 oz. Desserts)
- 3 Cups Half and Half
- 3/4 Cup Sugar-divided
- 3/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Dark Rum or Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 3/4 Cup Roasted Squash Puree or Canned Pumpkin
• Preheat oven to 325°f. Combine the half and half, half of the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and dark rum. Bring to a simmer, cover and let steep 15 minutes.
• In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, eggs, and remaining sugar. Gradually whisk in the hot half and half mixture. Whisk in the squash puree until smooth. Strain mixture. Divide into 4 oz. custard cups or ramekins.
• Place custard cups in a shallow casserole dish or roasting pan. Pour enough simmering water into the casserole dish to come half way up the sides of the ramekins.
• Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the custard just barely sets. The mixture should evenly jiggle when moving the cup. Cool in the refrigerator and serve with your favorite accompaniments of the season.
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.edu