- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups small dice white onion
- 3 strips thick bacon - chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds zucchini cut into 3/4 inch dice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring one gallon of water to a boil with 4 tablespoons of kosher salt. Add the pasta and cook until pasta is just cooked. (It'll take about 6-9 minutes depending on the pasta.) Drain and set aside without rinsing.
In a large pot, heat the oil and start sauteing the onion and the chopped bacon. Cook for 2 minutes over medium to high heat. Add the garlic and kosher salt and cook for an additional 1 minute. Toss in the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the chili flakes, paprika, chopped tomato, honey and white wine. Bring to a simmer and reduce until almost dry. Dump in the cook pasta, stir well, and add the chopped oregano and Parmesan cheese. Place in serving bowl and bring to the table.
The recipe makes between 6 and 8 portions.