Crispy Ham and Cheese Phyllo Bites
- 1/2 lb. ham-chopped finely
- 1/2 lb. swiss cheese or any favorite cheese-shredded
- 2 Tbsp. shallots - finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley - choppped
- 4 Tbsp. softened butter - (1/2 of a stick)
- 4 Phyllo dough sheets
- 1/2 Cup olive oil or can use olive oil or butter flavored spray
- Black pepper to taste
- To make filling, combine in a bowl the ham, cheese, shallots, parsley and softened butter. Mix until the mixture is thoroughly coated with the butter. Season to taste with black pepper. Reserve.
- To assemble strudels, lay one sheet of the phyllo dough on the counter (keeping the others covered to prevent drying out) so the 16” side is facing you. Lightly brush this sheet with a thin layer of olive oil. Cover this sheet of dough with another sheet of phyllo dough, and brush entirely with more olive oil. Now, place half of the ham and cheese stuffing in a tight cylinder shape on the phyllo dough extending to both the left and right ends. Now, tightly roll the dough around the filling into a cigar shape. Place this roll on a cookie sheet lined with a sprayed cooling rack with the seam side facing down. Repeat with the other three sheets of dough to have 2 cigar shapes. Using a serrated knife, make a slight incision into the top of each roll every inch to have 15 portions from each roll.
- Baked for about 20 minutes in a 400 ºF oven until deep golden. Remove from oven, let cool 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice each roll into 15 portions where you previously marked the dough. Place the strudels on a serving platter and enjoy!
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com