7 Oz. Bitter or Semi Sweet Chocolate-chopped
1 Stick Unsalted Butter-cut into 8 pieces
5 Egg Yolks-from large eggs
5 Egg Whites-from large eggs, no specks of egg yolks
¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
Vegetable Spray as Needed
· Preheat an oven to 350ºf. Place 1” of hot water in a shallow casserole dish or roasting pan that your 8” cake pan will fit into for baking. Prepare your cake pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper and spraying the sides of the pan with vegetable spray.
· Melt the chocolate and butter in a large bowl over a simmering waterbath.
· Whisk the egg yolks one at a time into the chocolate until smooth and shiny.
· Whip the egg whites until soft peaks, drizzle in the sugar and whip until nearly stiff peaks.
· Fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate and mix until smooth and no streaks of white remain.
· Pour batter into the cake pan, rapping the pan against the counter to remove any air bubbles. Place cake pan into your casserole dish with the 1” of water and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until firm. A toothpick inserted into the cake will not come out clean, even though the cake will be done. Let cool 10 minutes and invert onto a serving platter. Let cool, slice, and serve with raspberry sauce, ice cream, and a crisp cookie. Enjoy!