Native Heirloom Tomatoes
½ Cup Mayonnaise
¼ Cup Sour Cream
¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
Garlic Cloves-minced then mashed to a paste, or use a garlic press
½ French Bread (9 oz. Loaf) cut into 1” cubes
¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp. Herbes de Provence-or substitute dry basil or omit
1 Head Romaine Lettuce-cut into 1” pieces, washed, spin dried
Bacon Slices-cooked, drained, crumbled
Salt and Black Pepper To Taste
- Cut tomatoes in half crosswise.
- Place a strainer over a small saucepot and squeeze the juice and seeds from the tomatoes into the pot. Discard the seeds.
- Bring the tomato juice to a boil and cook down until only ¼ of the original amount of liquid remains.
- Cool to room temperature. Dice the tomatoes into 1” pieces, reserve to garnish the salad.
- To make the dressing, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, garlic, reserved tomato juice and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Reserve to dress salad.
- To make the croutons, place the bread cubes in a bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, add the dry herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat evenly. Lay out on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes or until golden brown.. Cool to room temperature and reserve.
- To serve, divide the salad greens among four serving plates. Drizzle with the dressing and garnish with the tomatoes, croutons, and bacon. Enjoy!