This recipe serves four.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tsp. baking Powder
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 eggplant, peeled, sliced 1/3-inch thick and cut into 1/3-inch wide strips
- 2 Cups breadcrumbs, Italian style. Place them in a wide, shallow casserole dish
- As needed, vegetable oil for frying
- To taste, salt and black pepper
- Sift together into a bowl the first measure of flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, egg and vegetable oil. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. The batter should be a little thinner than pancake batter. If it is too thick, add more water. If it is too thin, add more flour. Reserve.
- Heat a deep fryer with vegetable oil to 350 degrees.
- Place about a quarter of the eggplant strips in the batter. Let excess batter drip off and carefully place it in the Italian bread crumbs. Dredge thoroughly and repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Fry in small batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper if desired. Great served with marinara sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!