- 1 Cup farro - available in the rice section of the market
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Cup onions - finely diced
- 2 Tsp. fresh chopped thyme
- 3 Cups chicken or vegetable broth or water-seasoned to taste with salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups winter squash cubes - (butternut, buttercup, etc) steamed until just tender
- ½ Cup Parmesan cheese - freshly grated
- To Taste salt and black pepper
- Place the farro in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Let the grain soak for 30 minutes then drain thoroughly.
- In a heavy bottomed pot over medium meat add the olive oil and onions. Cook stirring for about 2 minutes or until softened. Add the thyme, cook 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil. Add the drained farro and cook over medium heat uncovered for about 25 minutes or until the liquid is nearly evaporated. Stir in the cooked winter squash, Parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Enjoy!
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com.