This recipe makes about 12
- All Purpose Flour 4 ¼ Cups (484 grams)
- Salt 1 ½ tsp. (8 grams)
- Baking Soda 1/8 tsp. (1 gram)
- Warm Milk 1 ½ Cups (322 grams)
- Warm Water ½ Cup + 2 Tbsp. (72 grams)
- Instant Yeast 1 tsp. (5 grams) If using active dry yeast, use 2 tsp. (10 grams)
- Sugar 1 ½ tsp. (8 grams)
- As Needed Cornmeal and Vegetable Spray
- Blend the flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl with a whisk to evenly disperse the salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a stiff spoon until a very soft dough forms. Dough should be wet. Continue mixing for another 5 minutes to develop gluten or alternatively use a stand mixer.
- Cover the bowl and let sit in a warm place for about an hour or until the volume of the dough doubles.
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle to 350 °f. Prepare 3 ½” English muffin rings by spraying the insides with vegetable spray.
- When dough has fermented enough, gently punch down. Scatter the surface of the griddle with a thin layer of cornmeal. Place the greased rings on the griddle. Add ¼ cup of the dough to the center of each ring.
- Let griddle for about 5 minutes on one side or until a nice deep golden color develops. Sprinkle the tops with more cornmeal and flip over to allow second side to cook. The second side may take less time. Check inside of one for doneness.
- When all are done, remove rings and let cool on a rack. Split and toast and serve with butter and any of your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Please visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page.